The 5 C’s of Credit and What They Mean for Your Home Loan
You’ve researched the neighborhood and spent hours scouring listings online
. You know the best zip codes and school zones
ready for the next step in the home buying process – getting pre-approval from your mortgage lender.
There is a lot that goes into determining if you qualify for a loan, but most traditional lenders will consider these five categories:
- Character- Your credit score will tell lenders about your character and your credit history. Do you pay your bills
on time? Are your accounts in good standing? If your credit score is poor, you should focus on improving it before applying for a home loan.
- Capacity- This category measures your ability to pay back your loan. Your income, and your job stability, will come
into play here, as well your debt-to-income (DTI) ratio. Your DTI is calculated by dividing total recurring monthly debt by gross monthly income. A ratio over 36 percent could mean you’ll pay more interest or that you will be denied a loan. If your DTI is over 36 percent, you should focus on lowering it by paying down your current debt, not taking on more debt and avoiding big purchases, such as a car, on credit
before you buy a home.
- Capital- Capital refers to the money you have, or will have, to purchase your new home. Buyers with a down paymentwill
have a better chance of obtaining a loan but a down payment is not a necessity. There are various loan programsthat do not require a down payment.
- Collateral- In the case of home loans, collateral is the home itself. If you default on the mortgage, the bank will
seize the home – this is why a home appraisal is almost always required before obtaining a loan.
- Conditions- Is it a buyer’s or seller’s market in your area? What is the current interest rate? These are conditions
that can impact home prices in your area as well as your ability to get into a home.
Getting pre-approval for a home loan can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. Make sure to work with an experienced,
local (Corona based, IE/ OC serving)
full-time real estate group like the Charles Chacon Team who can help guide you through the process.
#RealEstate #Realtor #Realty #Broker #ForSale #HouseHunting #HomesForSale #Property #Investment #Home #Housing #Listing #Mortgage #CreditReport #CreditScore #Foreclosure #Corona #topcoronaagents #inlandempire #remax #chaconteam #charleschacon